Find a Lender-Approved Local Conveyancer in Gravesend

Ready to buy a new home? Find a law firm approved by your lender.

You can try and find the cheapest conveyancing solicitors in Gravesend but be careful as you may get what you pay for.

Gravesend Conveyancing Statistics*

  • 1 107 is the median number of years remaining on leases in Gravesend
  • 2 83% freehold and 17% leasehold conveyancing in Gravesend for this year to date
  • 3 Percentage of leasehold conveyancing purchases in Gravesend is 26% where there is a share in the management company or freehold company
  • 4 August was the busiest month and September was the next busiest month while November was the least busiest month of the year for conveyancing in Gravesend
  • 5 Average time from start to moving day was 99 days for conveyancing in Gravesend

Examples of recent conveyancing in Gravesend since April 2024*

Recently asked questions about conveyancing in Gravesend

My financial adviser has requested my Gravesend lawyer’ panel reference for the Nat West conveyancing panel. What is the best way to discover this. I have contacted my local Gravesend branch but they cant find it on their system.

Have you tried contacting your Gravesend conveyancer about this?. Most Gravesend law practices will retain a file or database of lender panel information which would include, if applicable, their conveyancing panel details for each mortgage company.

Do the conveyancing solicitors identified via your search tool perform conveyancing in Gravesend by way of an attended exchange?

There are a few conveyancing experts who can conduct one day exchanges. Do contact us to get a costs illustration and details as to availability.

There is lots of information on this site concerning conveyancing in Gravesend but what is your top tip for selecting the right conveyancer in Gravesend

Do not opt for the cheapest Gravesend conveyancing fees. You really do get what you’re paying for when it comes to property lawyers. A cheap quote may mean that the conveyancing solicitor is handling a lot of jobs at one time and you won’t get the quality of service and the attention that you need. It is, however, wise to use a conveyancer who has a fixed fee on a no sale, no fee basis. This way, you go into the conveyancing with your eyes wide open.

We had selected conveyancing lawyers locally in Gravesend on the Kent Reliance solicitor approved list. They have just invoiced me a further sum for dealing with the Kent Reliance mortgage. Is this an additional conveyancing fee specified by Kent Reliance?

Unfortunately, as long as it is in their Terms of Engagement or estimate then yes your property lawyer can charge a fee for this. This fee is not set by Kent Reliance but by your Gravesend lawyer. Numerous firms on the Kent Reliance panel will quote an ‘acting for lender’ fee and others do not.

Having read lots of mortgage guides, I note that they all recommend that you should get your house surveyed prior to buying it. When I asked my local Gravesend solicitor - who is on the Clydesdale conveyancing panel - on this she said they don't do this and I need to contract an independent surveyor. Is that normal?

Clydesdale will need an independent valuation of the property. Your lawyer will not arrange this. Usually Clydesdale will appoint their own surveyor to do this, and you will have to pay for it. Remember that this is a valuation for mortgage purposes and not a survey. Your conveyancing practitioner will not organise the survey but they may be able to put you in touch with a local one that they recommend. RICS offers a find a surveyor service (just google it) where you can search for a qualified surveyor by your Gravesend postcode. As you are getting a mortgage with Clydesdale, you could contact them to see if they have a list of approved surveyors in Gravesend.

Do I need to take out insurance to cover chancel repairs when purchasing a residence in Gravesend?

Unless a prior purchase of the house completed post 12 October 2013 you can take it that solicitors handling conveyancing in Gravesend to continue to suggest a chancel search and or chancel repair liability insurance.

I used Stirling Law several years ago for my conveyancing in Gravesend. Now, I need my documents however cannot find the solicitor. What do I do?

You should call the Solicitors Regulatory Authority (SRA) to help locate your conveyancing files. They can be contacted on please contact on 0870 606 2555. Alternatively, you should use their online form to make an enquiry. You will need to provide the SRA with as much information as possible to assist their search, including the name and address in Gravesend of the conveyancing firm of solicitors you previously instructed, the name of conveyancing solicitor with whom you had dealings, and the date on which you last had dealings with the firm.

I own a leasehold flat in Gravesend. Conveyancing and Yorkshire Building Society mortgage organised. I have received a letter from someone saying they have taken over the freehold. It included a ground rent demand for rent dating back to 1991. The conveyancing solicitor in Gravesend who previously acted has now retired. Do I pay?

First make enquiries of HMLR to make sure that this person is indeed the new freeholder. You do not need to instruct a Gravesend conveyancing practitioner to do this as it can be done on-line for less than a fiver. Rest assured that regardless, even if this is the rightful landlord, under the Limitation Act 1980 the limitation period for recovery of ground rent is six years.

I purchased a 1 bedroom flat in Gravesend, conveyancing was carried out October 2010. Can you let me have an estimate of the premium that my landlord can legally expect in return for granting a renewal of my lease? Comparable flats in Gravesend with an extended lease are worth £216,000. The ground rent is £50 yearly. The lease finishes on 21st October 2093

With just 69 years remaining on your lease the likely cost is going to be between £9,500 and £11,000 plus legals.

The suggested premium range that we have given is a general guide to costs for extending a lease, but we are not able to advice on the actual costs without more comprehensive investigations. You should not use this information in tribunal or court proceedings. There may be additional issues that need to be considered and you obviously should be as accurate as possible in your negotiations. You should not take any other action based on this information without first getting professional advice.

Last updated

Sample of conveyancing solicitors in Gravesend regulated by the SRA

It is important to note that the listed firms do not limit their work for conveyancing in Gravesend but also conveyancing throughout England and Wales.

  • Patrick Lawrence, 5 Railway Place, Gravesend, Kent, DA12 1AP
  • Martin Tolhurst Partnership Llp, 7 Wrotham Road, Gravesend, Kent, DA11 0PD
  • F S Law Solicitors & Advocates, 27 Milton Road, Gravesend, Kent, DA12 2RF
  • Hatten Wyatt, 51/54 Windmill Street, Gravesend, Kent, DA12 1BD
  • Cumming & Riley, 11a High Street, Grays, Essex, RM17 6NB

Residential Landlord and Tenant Conveyancing solicitors in Gravesend

The firms listed below are a small selection of solicitors in Gravesend practicing in landlord and tenant law and on the regulations governing different types of tenancies. This may include advice on Terms and conditions of tenancy agreements

  • Patrick Lawrence, 5 Railway Place, Gravesend, Kent, DA12 1AP
  • Martin Tolhurst Partnership Llp, 7 Wrotham Road, Gravesend, Kent, DA11 0PD
  • Hatten Wyatt, 51/54 Windmill Street, Gravesend, Kent, DA12 1BD
  • M K Gill Solicitors, 63 Windmill Street, Gravesend, Kent, DA12 1BJ
  • Rex Cowells Solicitors Limited, Old Rectory Business Centre, Springhead Road, Northfleet, Gravesend, Kent, DA11 8HN

Commercial Conveyancing solicitors in Gravesend regulated by the SRA

The list below is a non-comprehensive list of solicitors in Gravesend practicing in commercial conveyancing in Gravesend. This could include advice on granting a lease to a commercial tenant
  • Patrick Lawrence, 5 Railway Place, Gravesend, Kent, DA12 1AP
  • Martin Tolhurst Partnership Llp, 7 Wrotham Road, Gravesend, Kent, DA11 0PD
  • F S Law Solicitors & Advocates, 27 Milton Road, Gravesend, Kent, DA12 2RF
  • Stantons, 24 Wrotham Road, Gravesend, Kent, DA11 0PA
  • Hatten Wyatt, 51/54 Windmill Street, Gravesend, Kent, DA12 1BD

*Source acknowledgement: House price data produced by Land Registry as well data supplied by Lexsure Ltd.

© Crown copyright material is reproduced with the permission of Land Registry under delegated authority from the Controller of HMSO.