Find a Lender-Approved Local Conveyancer in Wigan

Ready to buy a new home? Find a law firm approved by your lender.

There is a good reason why you won’t find people saying “if only I would have chosen a cheap factory-type firm”! Go local - instruct a conveyancing solicitor in Wigan

Wigan Conveyancing Statistics*

  • 1 The most common indemnity insurance policies for Wigan conveyancing is Restrictive Covenant
  • 2 Average Stamp Duty Payable for last year was £1,457
  • 3 55% freehold and 45% leasehold conveyancing in Wigan for last year
  • 4 877 is the median number of years remaining on leases in Wigan
  • 5 Average time frame of 45 days for registration of title in Wigan

Examples of recent conveyancing in Wigan since February 2024*

Recently asked questions about conveyancing in Wigan

It has come to my attention via my IFA that my Wigan property lawyer is not on the mortgage company Conveyancing panel. How can I be certain if this is indeed the case?

The sensible course of action for you to take is to call your Wigan lawyer directly. It is reasonable to expect your lawyer to notify you what has happened. Where they are not on the panel they could put your in touch with solicitors on the approved list of lawyers for your lender.

My conveyancer has uncovered a defect with the lease for the apartment we are buying in Wigan. The seller’s lawyers have put forward defective title insurance as a solution. We are content with insurance and will cover the costs. Our lawyer has advised that he must be satisfied that the mortgage company is willing to move forward with this solution. Who is the client here, us or the lender?

The short answer to your last question is that, notwithstanding the potential for a conflict of interest, you and the lender are the client. Your conveyancer must comply with the UK Finance Lenders’ Handbook provisions. The UK Finance Lenders’ Handbook conditions require your lawyer to disclose issues such as defects with the lease so that the lender can be afforded the opportunity to check with their valuer as to the extent that the value of the property is affected. Should you refuse to allow your lawyer to make the appropriate notification then your lawyer will have no choice but to discontinue acting for you.

I am due to move house in June. Will my conveyancing solicitor liaise with the removal company on the completion day. Incidentally, can you put forward a removal company in Wigan. Conveyancing lawyer was found prior to coming across your site.

On the afternoon of completion you will need to collect the keys from the property agent however this can only occur when the vendors conveyancers confirm to the agent that the monies to complete are in and the keys can be collected. You should inform the removal company that you are ready to move in. As a matter of policy we do not recommend a specific removal organisation but can help you find a residential property solicitor in Wigan or a legal practice with expertise in conveyancing in Wigan.

Completion of my purchase has taken place for my property in Wigan. Conveyancing was a necessary evil but I would like to complain about the lender. How does one go about formally complaining?

Most banks and building societies have complaints procedures. Your first point of contact should be one of the lender’s branches or the Customer Services Department at head office. In most cases complaints to a lender are resolved effectively and efficiently. If you feel the matter is not resolved you can write to Financial Ombudsman Service, South Quay Plaza, 183 Marsh Wall, London E14 9SR with full details of your complaint.

I've read lots of house buying guides, I note that they all recommend that you should get your house surveyed prior to buying it. When I asked my local Wigan solicitor - who is on the Leeds Building Society conveyancing panel - on this she said they don't do this and I need to contract an independent surveyor. Is that normal?

Leeds Building Society will need an independent valuation of the property. Your lawyer will not arrange this. Usually Leeds Building Society will appoint their own surveyor to do this, and you will have to pay for it. Remember that this is a valuation for mortgage purposes and not a survey. Your lawyer will not organise the survey but they may be able to put you in touch with a local one that they recommend. RICS offers a find a surveyor service (just google it) where you can search for a qualified surveyor by your Wigan postcode. As you are getting a mortgage with Leeds Building Society, you could contact them to see if they have a list of approved surveyors in Wigan.

Do I need to be concerned by brokers that I am dealing with are encouraging me to use an internet conveyancing firm as opposed to a High Street Wigan conveyancing firm?

As is the case with lots of service providers, often suggestions from family and friends can be most helpful. Nevertheless there are many players in a conveyancing deal; estate agents, mortgage brokers and lenders might all suggest conveyancers to instruct. On occasion the lawyers might be known to one of the organisations as experts in their field, but occasionally there behind the scenes financial incentive behind the endorsement. You are at liberty to select your own lawyer. However, bear in mind that most lenders operate an approved list of law firms you must use for the lender related work in your home move.

My husband and I are four weeks into a residential purchase having been referred to conveyancers by the high street agent to carry out the conveyancing in Wigan. I am am extremely frustrated with the level of service. Can you you assist me in finding new lawyers?

They would need to be really poor in order to consider changing them. Has the mortgage been issued? If so you will need to inform them of the new contact details and have the loan are re-sent. The solicitor ideally needs to be on the mortgage company panel to avoid supplemental costs and frustration. That should be your first question of the new lawyers. The search tool should assist you in finding a bank approved conveyancer for your conveyancing in Wigan

I am a negotiator for a busy estate agent office in Wigan where we see a number of leasehold sales jeopardised as a result of short leases. I have been given conflicting advice from local Wigan conveyancing solicitors. Could you confirm whether the seller of a flat can instigate the lease extension formalities for the purchaser on completion of the sale?

As long as the seller has owned the lease for at least 2 years it is possible, to serve a Section 42 notice to commence the lease extension process and assign the benefit of the notice to the purchaser. This means that the buyer need not have to wait 2 years to extend their lease. Both sets of lawyers will agree to form of assignment. The assignment needs to be completed prior to, or at the same time as completion of the disposal of the property.

An alternative approach is to agree the lease extension with the freeholder either before or after the sale. If you are informally negotiating there are no rules and so you cannot insist on the landlord agreeing to grant an extension or transferring the benefit of an agreement to the buyer.

Leasehold Conveyancing in Wigan - Sample of Questions you should consider before buying

    Be sure to discover if there are any onerous restrictions in the lease. For instance some leases prohibit pets being allowed in in a block in Wigan. If you like the apartmentin Wigan yet your dog can’t make the move with you then you have a very hard decision. Who are the managing agents? It would be prudent to find out as much as possible concerning the managing agents as they can either make life much easier or problematic. Being a leasehold owner you are often in the clutches of the managing agents both financially and when it comes to day to day issues like the upkeep of the common parts. Enquire of other people if they are happy with their management. Finally, find out the dates that you are obliged pay the service charge to the relevant party and specifically what it includes.

Last updated

Sample of conveyancing solicitors in Wigan regulated by the SRA

It is important to note that the listed firms do not limit their work for conveyancing in Wigan but also conveyancing throughout England and Wales.

  • Alker Ball Healds, 29-33 King Street, Wigan, Lancashire, WN1 1EG
  • Simpson Heald Pearson, Suite 4, Bank Chambers, 1 Library Street, Wigan, Lancashire, WN1 1NN
  • Platt & Fishwick, 47 King Street, Wigan, Lancashire, WN1 1DB
  • Hilton Norbury, 6-8 Upper Dicconson Street, Wigan, Lancashire, WN1 2AD
  • Vincent & Co, 13 Bridgeman Terrace, Wigan, Lancashire, WN1 1SX

Residential Landlord and Tenant Conveyancing solicitors in Wigan

The firms listed below are a small selection of solicitors in Wigan specialising in landlord and tenant law and on the regulations governing different types of tenancies. This should include advice on Service charge disputes

  • Alker Ball Healds, 29-33 King Street, Wigan, Lancashire, WN1 1EG
  • Vincent & Co, 13 Bridgeman Terrace, Wigan, Lancashire, WN1 1SX
  • Houghton Pigot & Co, 25 Bridgeman Terrace, Wigan, Lancashire, WN1 1TD
  • Mccarthy Bennett Holland Solicitors, 26 Bridgeman Terrace, Wigan, Lancashire, WN1 1TD
  • Greenhalgh Kerr Solicitors Ltd, Olympic House, 8 Beecham Court, Smithy Brook Road, Wigan, Lancashire, WN3 6PR

Commercial Conveyancing solicitors in Wigan regulated by the SRA

The firms listed below are a non-comprehensive list of solicitors in Wigan specialising in commercial conveyancing in Wigan. This could include advice on re-mortgaging commercial property
  • Alker Ball Healds, 29-33 King Street, Wigan, Lancashire, WN1 1EG
  • Platt & Fishwick, 47 King Street, Wigan, Lancashire, WN1 1DB
  • Hilton Norbury, 6-8 Upper Dicconson Street, Wigan, Lancashire, WN1 2AD
  • Vincent & Co, 13 Bridgeman Terrace, Wigan, Lancashire, WN1 1SX
  • Houghton Pigot & Co, 25 Bridgeman Terrace, Wigan, Lancashire, WN1 1TD

*Source acknowledgement: House price data produced by Land Registry as well data supplied by Lexsure Ltd.

© Crown copyright material is reproduced with the permission of Land Registry under delegated authority from the Controller of HMSO.